[ntp:questions] Update NTP on FreeBSD 8.2

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Fri Feb 10 16:18:08 UTC 2012

"Uwe Klein" <uwe at klein-habertwedt.de> wrote in message
news:36if09-sj3.ln1 at klein-habertwedt.de...
[]
> windows runs on just one platform, badly.

In your view.  It actually runs on at least three platforms today, and
likely four tomorrow, and it runs well enough for many users.  For NTP
timekeeping can be at the sub-millisecond level, which may or may not meet
your requirements.

> The BSDs run on a very wide range of architectures
> currently only bested by Linux ( afaik )

FYI: "bested" is not English. "only Linux runs on more".

> BSD ports is portability by source distribution.
>
> uwe

Yes, and I am finding the great drawbacks of that!  Swings and
roundabouts.  I find it less productive, but likely that's just me.  Note
that I do use FreeBSD where it's the best tool for the job.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,
David