[ntp:questions] how do I lock in average frequency correction

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Sun Feb 12 10:45:48 UTC 2012

David Lord wrote:

> Ntpd does not interact with my systems RTCs. There are
> probably some utilities that can set the RTC to current
> time or set the time from the RTC but I don't know of
> any for my systems. Chrony on Linux is able to use the
> RTC and compensate for periods when the system is not
> running.

I don't think he wants to do this.  He wants a time discipline system,
that cannot be ntpd, that has a hard wired (pre-calculated) frequency
correction that it never updates.  Most of the time only the frequency
correction should be applied.  If the offset becomes too high, it should
be rapidly cleared by something like the ntpd stepout mechanism, not the
normal PLL.