[ntp:questions] how do I lock in average frequency correction

Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" at ntp.org
Mon Feb 13 07:25:18 UTC 2012

David Woolley wrote:
> unruh wrote:
>

>> The problem on windows is I believe that there is no way to alter the
>> system clock rate. On linux, one can permanantly alter the rate at which
>

> Altering the software clock rate (time added to system time per tick) is
> the standard way of adjusting on Windows. What Windows can't do is the
> adjtime mechanism, used by ntpd for the user space discipline.

But doesn't the HAL clock also support _both_ a fixed/baseline clock
frequency adjustment, and a temporary adjustment to be applied over the
next N time slices/seconds?

I.e. pretty much exactly what NTPD would like, if only there was a
highres interpolated system clock as well?

Terje
PS. I might be misremembering, it might have been the NetWare 4 clock
which had those fixed/temporary adjustment levels...

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>