[ntp:questions] Using a uC based embedded device as SNTP server

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 17 01:16:11 UTC 2012

On 2/16/2012 4:52 AM, Thorsten Mühlfelder wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've already posted these questions 8 months ago without answers, but
> now the problem came to my mind again. Sorry for double post.
>
> I'm using a Atmel uC embedded device as SNTP server. The code is
> working so far, but I wonder what the correct settings are for:
> * stratum

If your Atmel uC gets its time from an atomic clock directly, it is
Stratum 1.  If Atmel uC gets time from a stratum 1 server it is a
stratum 2 clock and so on.  Each hop adds a little more garbage to the mix.

> * precision
Precision describes how finely you can "slice" time.  This has little or
nothing to do with accuracy.