[ntp:questions] Preparing for the leap second

Marco Marongiu brontolinux at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 16:26:16 UTC 2012

Hi again

Anybody willing to help with this procedure? There are some spots where
I could use some suggestions:

Il 11/01/2012 17:12, Marco Marongiu ha scritto:
> Please let me know if this could be a good way to test if a given
> combination OS/ntpd will behave (doesn't apply to Windows tho).
>
> I should shut down ntpd and configure the node as an "orphan" --
> maybe unplugging the network cable, or shutting down the interface,
> or setting no "server" for it... whatever it is.
>
> Then I should set the clock close to midnight, start ntpd again, and
> ask the kernel to insert a leap second. Or maybe I should insert the
> leap second _before_ starting ntpd?
>
> I understand I could add a fake leap second by using "adjtimex -S",
> or by using a fake leapseconds file. Is it correct? Any adjtimex
> command line you may want to suggest, or discourage me to use?
>
> Then, I should just watch the clock go, and see if it is monotonic
> when midnight comes. Would this be a good way to do that?
>
> while true ; do date +%H:%M:%S.%N ; done | tee time.log

As I said in another message, I am mainly thinking of Linux, all 2.6
series, or above; distributions may be Debian Squeeze, some Ubuntu 10.04
LTS or higher, a very few Debian Lenny.

If possible, I'd be interested in Windows XP and higher (for desktops).
Nice to have, modern versions of Solaris -- like 11 and OpenIndiana.

Thanks a lot

Ciao
-- M