[ntp:questions] losing time fast

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Sat Jul 14 03:34:00 UTC 2012

On 2012-07-13, Ron Hahn <ron.hahn at dhco.org> wrote:

> I am seeing these experiences since recent times on my two ntp servers:
>
> [root at saturn ~]# ntpdc -c kern
> localhost: timed out, nothing received
> ***Request timed out
> [root at saturn ~]#
>
> I do not have any restricts in my ntp.conf file.  This is confusing me
> as this was working before this time, although maybe I have changed
> something.
>
> [root at saturn ~]# /usr/local/sbin/ntpd --version
> ntpd 4.2.7p255 at 1.2483-o Mon Jul  2 08:52:22 UTC 2012 (1)
> [root at saturn ~]#

Mode-7 (ntpdc report was disabled by default in 4.2.7p232

Take a look at the ChangeLog in the ntp-dev source tree or
online at http://archive.ntp.org/ntp4/ChangeLog-dev:

(4.2.7p232) 2011/11/05 Released by Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>
* Update the NEWS file so we note the default disable of mode 7
  requests.

Discussion about the pending removal is at

http://lists.ntp.org/pipermail/hackers/2011-July/005307.html

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>