[ntp:questions] NTP server near Houston?

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at techstarship.com
Mon Jun 4 20:16:55 UTC 2012

E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists <Null at BlackList.Anitech-Systems.invalid> wrote:

>Ron Frazier (NTP) wrote:
>> In your case, you probably want to use US specific pool servers.
>>  You can do this by putting the following in your ntp.conf file.
>> server 0.us.pool.ntp.org
>> server 1.us.pool.ntp.org
>> server 2.us.pool.ntp.org
>> server 3.us.pool.ntp.org
>
> If you instead use:
>pool us.pool.ntp.org iburst preempt
>
>NTP will automatically add servers (up to maxclock),
> and as it drops some, it will add more;
>  eventually, you will likely end up with
>   a clique of servers that have lower offset to you,
>   and are also close in time to each other.
>
>--
>E-Mail Sent to this address <BlackList at Anitech-Systems.com>
>  will be added to the BlackLists.

That's pretty cool.  I didn't know you could do things that way.  I have consistently found that, if I have a GPS attached, which I want to be the preferred time source, and if I put iburst in the other server lines, that NTP preferentially chooses internet servers, at least at first, rather than my GPS.  Therefore, I don't have iburst in any of my server lines.

I don't understand the statement in your email address regarding blacklists.  Since it is necessary to hit "reply all" in order to post to this message list, it is expected that said replies will be going to all the addresses in the message header.  Why would anything be added to a black list?

Sincerely,

Ron

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

I get about 300 emails per day from alternate energy mailing lists and such.
I don't always see new email messages very quickly.  If you need a reply and
haven't heard from me in 1 - 2 weeks, send your message again.)

Ron Frazier
timekeepingdude AT techstarship.com