[ntp:questions] NTP vs RADclock?

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Wed Jun 6 02:20:02 UTC 2012

On 2012-06-06, Julien Ridoux <julien at synclab.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 5, 2012 9:12:42 AM UTC+10, E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists wrote:
>> David Woolley wrote:

>> > I think you meant
>> > http://groups.google.com/groups/search?as_q=radclock&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=10&scoring=&lr=&as_sitesearch=&as_qdr=&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=2012&as_maxd=1&as_maxm=1&as_maxy=2012&as_ugroup=comp.protocols.time.ntp&as_usubject=&as_uauthors=&safe=off
>> >
>> > I think there were more references to Windows malware than time
>> > synchronisation without the comp.protocols.time.ntp constraint.
>>
>> Yes, I mangled trimming the silly long link, thanks.
>> <http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=radclock+ntp&scoring=d>
>>

> Hi all,
>
> Being one of the main authors of the radclock software, I may be able to answer some questions directly. As mentioned earlier, I am not very active on this group, but will try harder in the future.
>
> As David pointed out, our website does not do a very good job at giving a plain overview of the algorithm. Nothing we have to hide (it is all in the source code), I just haven't had much time to keep it up to date lately. I think it is a fair comment and will try to provide more content as soon as possible.

So, taking a chance to explain, instead were are again fed a puff diet
of advertising.

> A high level description of the algorithm and why we are using a feed-forward algorithm can be found here:
> http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1773943

And this says
"A good-quality GPS with consistently good satellite visibility can cost
many thousands of dollars by the time you have persuaded the building
supervisor to mount it on the roof and run a cable to your office. Oh,
and it will take you six months to make it happen?minimum"

Sheesh.

Try $50 and 15 min.  A Sure gps pointing out an east facing window 5m
below the roof
stably gives its pulse per second with us accuracy.

One would have a lot more faith in the system were the hype not so
obvious.