[ntp:questions] How to insert a leap second with ntpq

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Thu Jun 21 15:53:11 UTC 2012

David J Taylor wrote:
> With all this discussion of leap-seconds, perhaps it's timely to mention
> my simple tools for leap-second checking across servers.  You will find
> NTP Leap trace here:
>
>  http://www.satsignal.eu/software/net.htm#NTPLeapTrace
>
> At this instant, fewer than 1 in 10 of the remote servers I'm using are
> indicating a pending leap second, and we are 9 days away from the
> event.  I can't recall now how long before the event it should be
> announced by typical NTP servers.
>
> Cheers,
> David

My understanding was that leap seconds only need to be setup
on stratum-1 servers and leap seconds trickle through from those.
On my system with two refclocks non of the other servers showed a
pending leap indication until I copied leapfiles over to them in
anticipation of distributing the refclock signals to them (which
I've not had time to complete). The internet servers I use are
currently all showing as stratum2.

David L