[ntp:questions] Peer Review of ntpq -c rv

Alby VA albyva at empire.org
Fri Mar 9 13:40:32 UTC 2012

On Mar 8, 6:43 am, David Lord <sn... at lordynet.org> wrote:

> >> I don't know if that's the case. I setup my two servers
> >> to use the nearest ntp servers that didn't share the same
> >> sources. There are tools to assist in the ntp distribution
> >> or you can select from the list of public servers at
> >> ntp.org. The stratum is usually of no importance. I had
> >> several stratum3 servers in my initial selection but the
> >> same servers are now stratum2 or stratum1. By nearest, I
> >> mean those with shortest delay.
>
> >> I'd remove the sources with highest delay, maybe just by
> >> marking as noselect.
>
> >> My own server with gps/pps source gives a couple of blips
> >> each morning due to load from cron jobs. The other pcs
> >> show variations from load and from temperature.
>
> >>http://www.lordynet.org.uk/mrtg/stats/ntp/
>
> >> David
>
> >  David:
>
> >  Can I get your mrtg.cfg and perl script for those graph/stats?
> > I think mine are just mislabeled...
>
> They can be downloaded from
>
> <ftp://ftp0.lordynet.org.uk/pub/os/NetBSD/mrtg_ntp.tbz>
>
> David

David:

 I downloaded your configs and setup MRTG to run GetNTPus_ntpq.pl,
but it doesn't seem to be pulling any data. Did I miss something?

# /etc/mrtg.cfg
#
# NTP stats for godzilla
Target[godzilla_ntp]: `perl /var/log/ntp/GetNTPus_ntpq.pl godzilla`
MaxBytes[godzilla_ntp]: 12000
Unscaled[godzilla_ntp]: dwmy
Timezone[godzilla_ntp]: GMT
Title[godzilla_ntp]: NTP statistics for godzilla.empire.org - GODZILLA
Options[godzilla_ntp]: logscale,integer, gauge, nopercent, growright
YLegend[godzilla_ntp]: offset +/- us
ShortLegend[godzilla_ntp]: us
LegendI[godzilla_ntp]: +offset:&nbsp;
LegendO[godzilla_ntp]: -offset:&nbsp;
Legend1[godzilla_ntp]: positive offset (us)
Legend2[godzilla_ntp]: negative offset (us)
PageTop[godzilla_ntp]: <H1>FreeBSD v9 - Godzilla</H1>

godzilla#
godzilla# pwd
/var/log/ntp
godzilla# ls -l GetNTPus.pl
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  728 Mar  9 08:27 GetNTPus.pl
godzilla#
godzilla#