[ntp:questions] Any chance of getting bugs 2164 and 1577 moving?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Wed Mar 21 06:09:03 UTC 2012

"Harlan Stenn" <stenn at ntp.org> wrote in message
news:E1SA6uS-000Kpj-LY at stenn.ntp.org...
> David wrote:
>> 2164 needs discussion, unless altering the number of significant digits
>> in
>> the ntpq output wouldn't break anything.  Do we need to have this
>> discussion?  I have looked through ntpq.c, but I can't see where the
>> number of decimal digits in the output for offset is set.
>
> I'd be inclined to do what we do for sntp, which is drive the number of
> emitted digits based on the precision of the time.

Yes, I agree that makes sense.  I would wish to see at minimum the decimal
point and tenths of milliseconds.  On the system I want to monitor, the
precision is reported as -19, but the offsets need at least four decimal
places of milliseconds to be plotted with reasonable accuracy (i.e. tenths
of microseconds are needed).

Cheers,
David