[ntp:questions] ATOM falseticker with flag3 enabled

Dave Hart hart at ntp.org
Wed Mar 28 05:07:01 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 03:52, A C <agcarver+ntp at acarver.net> wrote:
> I'm doing more configuration tests to test ATOM against other configuration
> options and have turned on flag3 to enable use of the kernel for PPS.
>  Previously it was disabled and, without a preferred peer, ATOM was never
> activated.  With a preferred peer, it would be activated but all clocks were
> clamped at 64 s polling intervals.
>
> However, if I enable flag3, ATOM does activate without a preferred peer but
> it's always labeled as a falseticker, the system claims it isn't using PPS
> (the reported stratum of my system is 3 not 1) and I'm not really sure why
> (it also lets the other servers increase their polling intervals).
>
> The configuration:
>

> logconfig       -syncstatus
> logconfig =sysall +syncall +peerall +clockall
> logfile /var/log/ntp/ntpd.log

Please try:

fgrep kcbind /var/log/ntp/ntpd.log

I suspect you will see that when you've used flag3 1, ntpd has
reported time_pps_kcbind failing.  I do see a potential bug in that
code, though.  If you don't get any hits from the fgrep, try removing
line 1259 from ntp_refclock.c:
			if (errno != EOPNOTSUPP) {
and its matching closing brace on line 1265:
			}
Then recompile ntpd and see if it then reports time_pps_kcbind failure
with flag3 1.

Cheers,
Dave Hart