[ntp:questions] Protocol exchange

Fri May 4 21:00:44 UTC 2012

On 5/4/2012 1:57 PM, E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists wrote:
> On 5/4/2012 8:30 AM, skendric wrote:
>> I'm trying to match what I see on the wire with what I read in
>> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5905.txt
>>
>> The Server's response to the Client contains exactly the
>>  same values for Reference Timestamp, Origin Timestamp,
>>  Receive Timestamp, and Transmit Timestamp.
>
> IIRC, that is one of the things it does to discourage
>  its use when you go over the rate limit.

<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/rate.html>
<BlockQuote> The Kiss-of-Death Packet
In order to make sure the client notices the KoD packet,
  the server sets the receive and transmit timestamps to
  the transmit timestamp of the client packet.
 Thus, even if the client ignores all except the timestamps,
  it cannot do any useful time computations.
</BlockQuote>

  will be added to the BlackLists.