[ntp:questions] New to group: radio/audio interest

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Wed May 9 06:34:48 UTC 2012

> I must admit I find NTP fascinating, depending on my mood.  About 20
> years
> ago I had written something that attempted to measure the drift in my
> computer's clock based on daily *manual* settings while listening to WWV
> or
> CHU.  Room temperature was the biggest factor.  I'm still interested in
> the
> audio WWV and CHU reference clocks.  I don't own a GPS and I live in the
> boonies where the only internet connection is dialup.  I'm 57, retired,
> partially disabled, and I like programming.  I'm also a ham, but not
> very
> active.  I've got a bio at http://www.qrz.com/db/ab1jx and a small
> homepage
> at http://ab1jx.webs.com.
[]
>   Alan

Alan,

I would suggest you get a GPS if possible.  There are a number of low-cost
devices now available, such as the Garmin GPS 18x LVC, and the Sure
Electronics GPS Evaluation board.  I've used both, and they work very
well, being sensitive enough to work with an indoor antenna on the top
floor of a building.  The sure board is about US $35.  Both require a
little soldering.  I've written up my experiments here:

GPS 18x LVC:
  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/FreeBSD-GPS-PPS.htm

Sure board:
  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Sure-GPS.htm