[ntp:questions] Question regarding local clock

Joachim Larsson joachim.larsson at ericsson.com
Tue Oct 9 14:07:59 UTC 2012

Hello all,

In our environment we have both rhel5 and rhel6, the ntp package in rhel5 specifies a local clock being used;
# Undisciplined Local Clock. This is a fake driver intended for backup
# and when no outside source of synchronized time is available.
server  127.127.1.0     # local clock
fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10

This section is commented out in rhel6, but our IT policy requires me to make extensive research and/or testing before even fixing a typo.
I have read the documentation regarding the LCL, and i understand what it could be used for. I also understand that Orphan Mode is preferred over using a LCL.

However, i could not find any documentation regarding the impact systemwise when using LCL, together with a external source.
For example, will there be extra cpu-cycles wasted, memory used, network activity, interrupts etc etc that potentially could lock up ntp, or worse, the entire machine?

I want to disable this, as per the recomendations, but i need to find out impact before doing this.

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Joachim Larsson