[ntp:questions] NTP tunning for OWD measurements

Brian Utterback brian.utterback at oracle.com
Fri Oct 26 15:58:24 UTC 2012

On 10/26/2012 11:17 AM, pret3nder at gmail.com wrote:
> I'm sorry, I was writing this in Google Groups web interface.
>
> Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly: I don't want to use external time sources, only NTP,
> with the best tuning (and not tunning :D) possible. But I do have access to four stratum 1 servers, using
> GPS and PPS inputs, which I use as servers to synch my hosts to.

You may not want to, but that is the way to do it. If all of your
systems are local, you could simply use a single PPS source and fan it
out to all of the systems.  If not, then you should have a local source
to each system. Otherwise, you should do just as you have done, and then
look at the spread of time offsets between each of the four stratum one
servers and the round trip times. That gives you the maximum error in
your measurements.

Brian