[ntp:questions] Using Trimble TSIP under Linux

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Mon Oct 29 23:38:40 UTC 2012

On 2012-10-29, David Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> On 29/10/2012 09:44, Kennedy, Paul wrote:
>> Dave,
>> ntpd will be in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin.   On my pi the /usr/sbin is the
>> one in use.  Just copy across your newly built binary and restart with a
>> "sudo /etc/init.d/ntp restart"
>>
>> you can always kill the ntpd process (with a "sudo ps -e | grep ntpd"
>> followed by "sudo kill -9 <processname>"), then run the one you bult
>> interactively to make sure all is well.  The debug offerings are really
>> handy in the interactive mode.
>>
>> pk
>
> Making progress, Paul, thanks!  I managed to get gpsd to autostart with
> the dpkg-reconfigure, but on ntp it said: "ntp is broken or not fully
> install".  I still says that after I copied the ntp executables from my
> local directory to /usr/bin.  On trying to restart ntp it failed:
>
> pi at raspberrypi ~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/ntp restart
> [ ok ] Stopping NTP server: ntpd.
> [....] Starting NTP server: ntpd/usr/sbin/ntpd: The ``user'' option has
> been disabled -- built without --enable-clockctl or --enable-linuxcaps
> ntpd - NTP daemon program - Ver. 4.2.7p314
>                  [ <server1> ... <serverN> ]
>   failed!

The script in init.d inserts a user (-u)  option into the running of ntpd, and
your compilation  does not support that option because you did not also
build with the --enable-linuxcaps option.
Edit /etc/init.d/ntp to remove that option.

The -u allows you to change the running userid andgroupid of the ntpd
process after it has set itself up. This only works if the operating
system allows a user to set or change the clock.