[ntp:questions] continuous ntpd crasches.

samurai samurai at samurai.jp
Sat Sep 8 20:34:38 UTC 2012

On 09/08/2012 04:05 PM, David Woolley wrote:
> samurai wrote:
>> Hello.
>> I've two servers with debian squeeze and in cluster with
>> heartbeat+pacemaker.
>> They run ntpd for time synchronize.
>> I've noticed some ntpd crashes in random days and random hour.
>> Logs don't say why.
>> Can you suggest what can I do to know the reasons for the crash.
>
> Please provide a backtrace from the core dump. Adjust your start up
> scripts to ensure you get one.
>
> At the very least please provide your configuration file, the system
> logging for ntpd up to the crash, the version of ntpd (ntpd versioning
> not just Debian) and output of the ntpq peers command before the crash.

Unfortunately ntp debian package is compiled using configure
--disable--debug so I can't debug it
and I can't have a core dump.
My configuration is:

NTPD_OPTS='-4 -g -I eth0.118'

ntp.conf

driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift

# Enable this if you want statistics to be logged.
#statsdir /var/log/ntpstats/

statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats
filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable

server 0.debian.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 1.debian.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 2.debian.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 3.debian.pool.ntp.org iburst

restrict -4 default kod notrap nomodify nopeer noquery
restrict 127.0.0.1

version of ntp is 4.2.6.