[ntp:questions] System time changes only on restarting ntpd service and query about iterating through the sources

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Sat Sep 8 22:29:28 UTC 2012

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> On 9/7/2012 11:51 AM, unruh wrote:

>>> On some, or many machines, the hardware clock (time of day) is sustained
>>> by a "coin cell" battery when power is off!  Sooner or later this
>>> battery must be replaced.  The ones I've encountered used a "CR-2013"
>>> coin cell.  If investigation reveals that there is such a cell it will
>>> need to be replaced every few years.  Observe the markings
>>> on the old battery and find a battery to match it.  If power is seldom
>>> off and is restored quickly this battery may last for three to six
>>> years! YMMV!!!!
>>>
>>> As I recall,the last time I needed such a battery, I purchased it for a
>>> dollar or two at a nearby drug store.
>>>
>>> If this does not resolve your problem, seek professional help!
>>
>> Unfortunately on many systems the batter is welded into the system. It
>> is not user replacable. They expect you to throw out the motherboard
>> when the battery dies.
>>

> I've never seen such a system.  I hope I never do!  Who
> manufactured/distributed this P.O.S???????

I've had many motherboards with a three cell nicad or nimh
soldered (not welded) and replacing the packs has been little
more difficult than replacement of a CR2032.

I've also had 6V packs of replaceable standard cells.

ISTR that older systems defaulted to 1970 when the battery
gave up.

I'd suggest a startup script is added to set the date to
2012 either before ntpd is started or if that's not
possible change ntpd startup to check that date is
reasonable before starting ntpd.

David