[ntp:questions] Testing throughput in NTP servers

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 12 19:24:42 UTC 2012

On 9/12/2012 2:34 PM, unruh wrote:
> On 2012-09-12, Ulf Samuelsson <ulf at invalid.com> wrote:
>> Anyone knows if there are any available Linux based S/W to test the
>> throughput of NTP servers?
>> I.E:
>>
>> 	packets per second?
>> 	% of lost packets
>> 	etc?
>>
>> Best Regards
>> Ulf Samuelsson
>
> I hope not. I can just see someone deciding to test one of the stratum 1
> main servers (eg at the usno) Why in the world would you want this?

Sigh!  I'm sure it has happened and will happen again!  I'm sure that
there are people complaining to the National Bureau of Standards or
the Naval Observatory that their time is incorrect! ;-)

If you really want time with better than micro-second accuracy, consider
get a GPS Timing receiver. The one I bought several years
ago claimed 50 nanosecond plus or minus of the correct time.