[ntp:questions] ntp.org's ntpd not to set the hardware clock

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Thu Sep 13 07:22:49 UTC 2012

Ivan Shmakov wrote:
> 	I wonder, how do I configure ntpd(8) (as of the Debian Wheezy
> 	ntp package [1]) /not/ to touch the hardware clock?

ntpd does not set the hardware clock.  That is done by the Linux kernel,
when the clock is disciplined by anything.

It's a long time since I looked at that code, but there may be a kernel
build time option, and you can always delete the code from the kernel.

I assume you mean the 32kHz RTC, sometimes called TOY.