[ntp:questions] Testing throughput in NTP servers

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Fri Sep 14 20:27:23 UTC 2012

Terje Mathisen <"terje.mathisen at tmsw.no"> wrote:
> You're talking 10 GiGE wire speed, right?

> That's more than 100 M requests/second!

If I recall correctly, the maximum number of minimim sized frames per
second for 10GbE is something like 14.7M or 14.8M each way.  I think
Luigi Rizzo has gotten 10+ Mpps with an Intel NIC (just basic
networking) using his netmap stuff.

Using a two-socket server with E5-2680s, and a non-Intel 10GbE NIC
I've seen around 2.89 M pps each way on a single port with aggregate,
concurrent, burst-mode netperf TCP_RR tests. If I use non-burst mode
and many more concurrent netperf's it is more like 2.5 (from memory).
I suspect it becomes more of a context-switching benchmark at that
point.  Haven't quite gotten around to driving both ports at once.

rick jones
--
It is not a question of half full or empty - the glass has a leak.