[ntp:questions] Failure modes on Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit

Olo Burrows bote.prodigy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 21:58:18 UTC 2013

On Monday, August 12, 2013 12:09:48 PM UTC-4, David Taylor wrote:
> On 12/08/2013 15:41, Olo Burrows wrote:
>
> > I tried those binaries hoping it would solve this problem and provide the additional benefits included in them. They all flatly refused to run.
>
> > I also tried the suggestion to give more rights to the ntp account. I went so far as to include the ntp user in the Administrators group. Still no joy.
>
> > Thanks for the suggestions, though.
>

> Thanks for testing, Olo.  When using those binaries, do be sure to use
>
> the compatible SSL libraries included on that Web page as a download.
>
> IIRC those binaries should work with both recent versions of the
>
> Meinberg port.
>
> I hope someone with more expertise than I can help further.
>
> --
>
> Cheers,
>
> David
>
> Web: http://www.satsignal.eu

I'm following up in the interest of completeness, although I admit that I have no good answers. I tried the 4.2.7p382 @ 1.2483-o binaries from (I think) your site today and I must have been invoking ntpd from the command line improperly as it appeared not to run. So I gave it up for dead as I'm running out of time to get this box running and installed some other support software needed by other packages.

While waiting for a download to complete I went into Windows Services manager and clicked start and it STARTED! I don't know why, but perhaps installing .Net 4 Framework and one of the 7 Windows Updates that got applied did the trick.

I'm sorry I don't have more specifics as I wasn't using the Scientific Method at this point. At least I'm happy that I'll have a decent time source now.

Cheers!