[ntp:questions] Failure modes on Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Wed Aug 14 05:49:23 UTC 2013

On 13/08/2013 23:03, Charles Swiger wrote:
> Hi--
[]
> I wonder how many of the Windows users do anything with ntpd which needs crypto?
>
> ntpd by itself (ie, "./configure --without-crypto") has a fairly clean
> security history compared to something like OpenSSL's ASN.1 parser:
>
>     http://www.openssl.org/news/vulnerabilities.html
>
> Regards,

I've never had any need for crypto here, but I'm not running a critical,
enterprise-wide installation.  In my previous job, I was running a
network where Windows NT were the prime servers (taking their NTP from
enterprise-wide UNIX servers), so crypto may eventually have been used
there.

Most Windows users would not, I suspect, need crypto, and they have
client-only functionality.
--
Cheers,
David