[ntp:questions] Start of new GPS 1024 week epoch

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sun Aug 18 10:06:17 UTC 2013

On 18/08/2013 09:19, Magnus Danielson wrote:
[]
> If you want this feature to be disabled by default, you end up with
> causing the disruption that the fix is there to avoid. Few will know
> that they need to fiddle with that bit, and it becomes a continuous
> support thing, rather than letting the default being that it fixes the
> problem and then let the really cautious people turn it off. Default
> disabled is a bad idea.
>
> Yes, you change the default behaviour of NTP this way, but it's done
> because it has been analyzed and it's more likely to fix a problem than
> cause a problem for the majority of the users.
>
> Cheers,
> Magnus

I'm simply saying that I'm happy with NTP as it is now, and that if any
/new/ feature is added, it should be optional and disabled by default.
The new feature should /only/ apply to GPS sources.  If the existing
code requires a simple modification to a adjustment threshold, that's a
different issue.

Perhaps if a universal fix is possible I might revise my "not by
default" viewpoint.
--
Cheers,
David