[ntp:questions] Strange jumps in PPM

Fri Aug 23 02:01:13 UTC 2013

A C wrote:
> BlackLists wrote:
>> Harlan Stenn wrote:
>>> I'd love to see NTP be able to query and use this sort of information.
>>
>> Several of the NMEA sentences have fix quality,
>>   for binary Refclock drivers if the feature exists,
>>   there is sure to be packets that include the fix quality.
>>
>> I guess we'd have to look at the driver source to see if
>>   if make use of any of the fix quality fields.
>>
>> Of the messages it appears the NMEA driver supports,
>>   GPRMC, GPGGA, GPGLL, GPZDG, PGRMF
>>    Have some variety of detail of Fix Quality
>>
>>   GPZDA Does NOT have fix quality
>>
>>    So the advantage of using _only_ ZDA's compact / short sentence
>>     to get date & time, is slightly devalued by not getting any
>>     quality indications?
>>

> Unfortunately this doesn't help the ATOM driver.
>  In my case I have to feed PPS in separately via ATOM.
>  So going back to the original suggestion by Mike,
>   having a way to feed information about nominal system
>   behavior directly to the driver would be great.

<refclock_atom.c>
 * This driver is subject to the mitigation rules described in the
 * "mitigation rules and the prefer peer" page. However, there is an
 * important difference. If this driver becomes the PPS driver according
 * to these rules, it is active only if (a) a prefer peer other than
 * this driver is among the survivors or (b) there are no survivors and
 * the minsane option of the tos command is zero.

  will be added to the BlackLists.