[ntp:questions] NTP not syncing

Charles Elliott elliott.ch at verizon.net
Fri Dec 6 10:27:30 UTC 2013

You might be able to do better.  In QC an average of a randomly gathered
sample of a continuous variable is distributed as normal (Gaussian).
If NTPD kept a few more statistics (state), it could measure the freq
and determine if it is outside of 3 standard deviations of the grand
mean of past observations of freq.  If it is outside then gather several
more observations of freq (5 total would be best, but 2 or three might
do) and compute the average.  If that average is outside 3 stdDev of
the mean, then the probability of that result is so low (< 0.05) that
it could not have happened by chance; something has changed.  NTPD must
use the new average as the current freq and include it in the grand mean,
but the user should be warned that something is awry.  On the other hand,
if the 2 or 3 new observations of the freq are not close to the original,
then just throw away the latter.

Charles Elliott