[ntp:questions] logs not populating

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Sun Dec 8 21:52:58 UTC 2013

Antonio Marcheselli wrote:

>>> Usually logs I've seen keep reporting that the NTP has synchronised once
>>> or twice a day?
>>
>> Only if one source becomes better than another.  Ideally it will not
>> produce those outputs because the quality of the sources remains stable.
>
> Interesting. I've always seen entries on that log file, that's why I was
> wondering.
>
> What could I put in the configuration file to monitor the ntp behaviour
> - without a massively long log file?
>
> Thanks

 From ntp1.lordynet.org $ cat /var/log/ntp/ntp.log
Nov 30 03:00:00 ns1.lordynet.org newsyslog[6691]: log file turned over

I run cron jobs at intervals:

13,33,53  *  *  *  *  /bin/sh /root/scripts/ntp/ntp-stat.sh
16  6  2  *  *        /bin/sh /root/scripts/ntp-monthly.sh
6  1  *  *  *         /bin/sh root/scripts/ntp/ntp-stats/summary.sh
7  0  *  *  *         /bin/sh /root/scripts/ntp/pool/pool-log.sh

/etc/ntp.conf has:
logconfig    +allsync +allclock
statsdir     /var/log/ntp/stats
statistics loopstats peerstats sysstats
filegen loopstats file loopstats type day link enable
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day link enable
filegen syncstats file syncstats type day link enable

That generates a lot of data that is summarised and
archived each month in some cases with original data
being deleted.

Most of my scripts use utilities from the ntpd distribution.

David