[ntp:questions] Silly question.

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Sat Dec 14 21:57:18 UTC 2013

DaveB wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> Here's something to make you all laugh....
>
> In the process of configuring a new instance of NTP on FreeBSD_9.2
>
> Mostly, all's gone well.
>
> But, Even though I successfully downloaded built and installed 4.2.6p5_2
> (that took a very long time.)
>
> The instance of the Meinberg ntp monitor program I use from another PC,
> shows that the BSD box is using 4.2.4p5-a
>
> OK, I've found the system variable in /etc/defaults/rc.conf,
>
> NTPD_PROGRAM="/usr/sbin/ntpd"
>
> But, I don't know, nor can find out where the newly built newer version
> ntpd was placed, so I can change that variable above.
>
> So...  Where is it likely to have been put?  Or how do I find out?
>
> Regards.
>
> Dave B, confused again.

Hi

Don't you have /etc/rc.conf

NetBSD might not be relevant but when I started builds/installs of
ntpd-dev-4.2.7 I found that ntpd seemed to lock /usr/sbin/ntpd in
place and my attempts at copying from /usr/local/bin were failing.

Workaround was first to stop ntpd, copy new version, restart ntpd.

That was while testing to see if the change was worthwhile.

I've now changed my default PATH so that /usr/local/bin/ntpd is
picked up first. My /etc/rc.d/ntpd has a hardcoded command path
and I also updated that.

David