[ntp:questions] New 60 KHz WWVB Time Format

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Jan 16 20:00:10 UTC 2013

Hi Tom,

On 01/16/2013 03:36 PM, Thomas Laus wrote:
> I have not seen this information posted to this newsgroup.  The US
> NIST radio station WWVB will be changing it's transmission format.  The
> information can be found at:
>
> http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/wwvb.cfm
>
> The old format is still being sent twice a day until the end of
> January 2013, but the station will only transmit the new phase
> modulated time code after this month.  It is supposed to be compatible
> with the existing 'Atomic' clocks, but I have some of the original
> ones that were made in China that are no longer syncing.

The WWVB new format has been covered in several lengthy threads on the
time-nuts email-list during the last half-year or so. Look in the archives.

Some of the high-precision time and frequency receivers will require
modifications to handle the new format. Cheap receivers will keep working.

Cheers,
Magnus