[ntp:questions] help for Ntp architecture

nicolas.vuilmet at laposte.net nicolas.vuilmet at laposte.net
Mon Jul 8 08:39:45 UTC 2013

Hi,

I have a NTP architecture synchronize hundreds of ntp clients.
But i know my architecture is bad.

I have 3 time sources (1 GPS and 2 separate radio)
Each on source is deliver by only one NTP server (stratum 1).
All clients have in their configuration these three time servers of stratum 1.
Currently, a source is in maintenance. Its server is now on stratum 12.
All NTP clients see one of three servers in stratum 12.
A little outline :

x GPS DCF77 MSF
stratum 0 x ^ ^ ^
x | | |
x +---+----+ +----+-----+ +----+-------+
stratum 1 x | srv1 | | srv2 | | srv3 |
x +--------+ +----------+ +------------+
x ^ ^ ^
x | | |
x | | |
x | + |
x | +----------+ |
x | | | |
x +-----+ +-----------+ | +----------+
x | NTP | |
x | CLIENTS |----+
x +------------+ |
x | |-------+
x | |
x | |
x +------------+

I want to improve this architecture.
I think add NTP servers to create a stratum 2.
All NTP servers in stratum 2 synchronize across all stratum 1 servers.
May be also on them?
How many stratum 2 servers? tow minimum for high availability, 3 for total security but is it better have more?
In the end, all clients synchronize only the stratum 2 servers.

x GPS DCF77 MSF
stratum 0 x ^ ^ ^
x | | |
x +---+----+ +----+-----+ +----+-------+
stratum 1 x | srv1 | | srv2 | | srv3 |
x +--------+ +----------+ +------------+
x x x x
x x x x
x xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
x x x x
x x x x
x +---------+ +----------+ +------------+
stratum 2 x | st21 | | st22 | | st23 |
x +---------+ +----------+ +------------+
x ^ ^ ^
x | | |
x | | |
x | + |
x | +----------+ |
x | | | |
x +-----+ +-----------+ | +----------+
x | NTP | |
x | CLIENTS |----+
x | |
x | |

Finally, do you have tips on the hardware configuration of the stratum 2 servers? Are there an essential element? (CPU, network, disk.....)
I read an old server can be enough, but its good for my case? NTP architecture with many clients?

Thx for help.

Nicolas

Je crée ma boîte mail www.laposte.net