[ntp:questions] Juniper NTP with Cisco problems

PJ Balsley pbalsley at ragingwire.com
Wed Jul 10 16:08:46 UTC 2013

> All devices sync well to the cisco NTP routers: linux systems,
>  windows systems, cisco devices, but NOT Juniper devices.

> =-=-=-=-=- Juniper device ntp settings -=-=-=-=-=
> version="ntpd 4.2.0-a Sat Nov 19 06:50:15 UTC 2011 (1)",

4.2.0-a is Circa 2003, not 2011 ?

I think that is the compiled date of when Juniper build the router OS
on. I don't think it's the version date of the software.

What version(s) of ntp are on the Cisco devices, and the other devices
that like the Cisco NTP servers?
Cisco NTP router IOS version: 12.2.33-SRE4 compiled on May 2011.
   I'm not sure what version of NTP is in it.

Example cisco device that can sync with the NTP server IOS is version
12.2.55-SE5 compiled on Feb 2012.

So much has changed in the last decade of NTP development,
 that I can easily see a ntp 4.2.0 not liking something a
 4.2.7 is doing.

  will be added to the BlackLists.