[ntp:questions] stepout value

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Fri Jul 26 16:57:57 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-26, Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> wrote:
> David Woolley writes:
>
>> Also remember that Red Hat are unlikely to ship development builds and
>> may well use a version that worked for them in the past, rather than
>> the latest release version, especially as they often apply local
>> patches (one should actually have said to look at the patch files as
>> well as the source files, as RPMs work on the basis of providing a
>> combination of original source code and patches, rather than the
>> actual source code that has been built).
>
> 4.2.6 was released in December of '09, which EOL'd free support for...
> 4.2.4, released in Dec '06, which EOL'd free support for ...
> 4.2.2, released in Jun '06, which EOL'd free support for ...
> 4.2.0, which was released in Oct '03.
>
> 4.2.8 is getting close to release.  We run 4.2.7 in production.
>
> Many people don't understand our version numbers - the initial '4' is
> the protocol number, not the major release number.  It's a significant
> improvement going from 4.2.0 to 4.2.2, and then to 4.2.4, and then to
> 4.2.6.
>
> I haven't looked at what patches they might have applied, but it is easy
> to check our ChangeLog and see the large number of fixes and
> improvments we've made to NTP over the years.  Over 1500 improvements
> and fixes from 4.2.0 to 4.2.6.

But 4.2.6 still has 900s for stepout. That seems to have change only in
the development release 4.2.7 Many of the distros will stick with stable
releases not development. (eg a distro which tends to be frontline,
Mageia, is still at 4.2.6. Archlinux is 4.2.7. Ie, the answer the OP
question is that it is 900s on his version almost certainly. )