[ntp:questions] THunderbolt monitor/control on Win7 ? More...

Dave Baxter spam at goes.nowhere.com
Mon Jul 29 16:40:19 UTC 2013

In article <ksu3bs$bdc$1 at dont-email.me>, david-
taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid says...

> On 26/07/2013 13:38, Dave Baxter wrote:
> []
> > Info.  Running LH over the VPN (home box running the LH server) and
> > setting it's properties in the OS (on this box, XP SP3) to run in Win95
> > compatable mode, also turning off "advanced text input services" for
> > this program, now the "hit space for help" works.
> >
> > I've done a 's' and entered a reasonable position value, and now it
> > (instantly!) sees a load more sat's, so on the way to sorting things.
> >
> > Might help others perhaps.
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> > Dave B.
>
> Good to hear of progress, Dave.  Yes, post a summary when you're done as
> it may well help others.

A little more info.

The T'Bolt has been running well since the above tweak.  Even though the
antenna is in the roof space (along with other GPS RX's etc) surrounded
by building steelwork, it seems to "see" a good proporion of the sky OK.
I kicked off a site survey and left it to sort itself out, it seems
happy now.

As to the controlability of LH on Win7.  Well, if the TB is connected to
that machine's serial (via USB) port, then you can't control LH, nothing
works, except to close the program with a mouse click on the Red X top
right, or double click on LH's icon top left.  It does though behave and
display lots of info.

But...  If the T'Bolt is physcically connected to another PC, that run's
the LH T'Bolt remote server, then LH on the Win7 PC, configured to talk
to that over the LAN, THEN I have full control, all the help menus etc
work fine.   Very odd...

Anyway, next job, a dedicated (linear) power supply and housing so it
can have a permanent home and if possible 24/7 battery backed power etc,
Can anyone recomend a known good DC in (12 or 24V) to multi rail DC out
supplies, or shall I do it the easy way, ad extra filtering to the
Chinese SMPS it came with, and run that from the UPS?   Comments?

Then, to kill two birds with one stone.  Figure out how to interface it
to NTPD on FreeBSD (if that's posible, I've read articles that lean
either way.)  Also to arange to distribute it's 10MHz output, direct and
via some small sync'd synths, so I can get other "useful" frequencies,
10.24 & 20.48MHz etc, used by other equipment when needed.

So far, so good.

Regards to All..

Dave B.