[ntp:questions] ntpq -p command query

Biswajit Panigrahi BP00106533 at TechMahindra.com
Wed Jul 31 07:26:08 UTC 2013

Hi ,
Basically my intention is to get notification in client when ever the connection between server changes(Ex-lan connectivity OR ntp server itself is down).For that I am doing the following step:

In client:
1.Execute ntpq -c associations
2.Get the data in status field
3.If there is any change in that field ,then collect the 4th bit of that.(Ex:f69a & 1000)
4.If its 1 then reachable else unreachable.

But the problem I am facing is:
Whenever the connectivity between the server goes down, the status field  will not change immediately.
My observation was whenever the reach field of ntpq -p command comes to zero then only the status field changes.
That's why I was trying to reduce the time gap.

If My approach is not correct then please suggest me the other approach.

Regards,
Biswajit Panigrahi
Department : Product Engg.
9/7 Hosur Road,bangalore-560029, INDIA