[ntp:questions] pps breaks when nmea is enabled for ntpd

Richard Cagley rcagley at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 01:03:40 UTC 2013

I have a TI DM8168 processor and a u-blox gps.

If I enable an internet server and pps, then pps works great

server clock.redhat.com iburst prefer minpoll 4 maxpoll 4
server 127.127.22.0 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4
fudge 127.127.22.0 flag3 1

However, if I add an NMEA server to my ntp.conf file like this

server 127.127.20.0 mode 1
fudge 127.127.20.0 flag1 1
server 127.127.22.0 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4
fudge 127.127.22.0 flag3 1

then pps stops working. I can kill ntpd and ppstest no longer works. It's
as though nmea is clobbering the serial port.

It sorta feels like this, but there was no resolution
http://lists.ntp.org/pipermail/questions/2011-September/030347.html

Can anyone help me. I've really been struggling with this.