[ntp:questions] NTP architecture with virtual machines for stratum-2 ?

Brian Utterback brian.utterback at oracle.com
Mon Mar 4 20:48:44 UTC 2013

On 3/4/2013 3:20 PM, unruh wrote:

>> >Should our stratum-2 servers all be connected to ntp1-4, or is it better to have server1-ntp1, server2-ntp2, etc.. to make sure they don't all run off the same clock source? i.e. should we for server1 have ntp.conf with:
> If source a gives good time, why should you worry about many machines
> using it? The only purpose could be redundancy, and that you get by
> having many servers, not by pointing them at different sources.

At some level you will need to mix the sources, so it doesn't really
matter where that occurs. The higher up the tree that mixing happens the
easier to diagnose it will generally be. It is a good idea to have
multiple ultimate time sources, because individual vendors have been
know to have glitches. Try not to rely on any one tech overly much,
otherwise ifg there is a glitch it my override the other, correct, servers.

Brian.