[ntp:questions] multiple instances of NTP on different interfaces

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Wed Mar 6 00:30:20 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-05, Rob <nomail at example.com> wrote:
> David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> wrote:
>> Rob wrote:
>>

>>> I could understand why someone would want to run one instance that
>>> controls the clock, and another instance that only serves time to
>>> clients on the (inter)net and cannot control the clock.
>>
>> One would normally simply set suitable access restrictions for un-named
>> clients.  I think the defaults are probably adequate.
>
> The point is that it is not important what you (and unruh) think.
>
> Here on the newsgroup the answer to all questions is always "you don't
> want to do that" or "this is not possible and that is right".

The point is that he has a problem he wants to solve. He is telling us
what his solution is and saying it does not seem to work, without
telling us what the problem is. We are telling him that if we knew the
problem, we might be able to offer solutions he had not thought of.

> This usually without considering the situation of the poster in more
> detail, and often with information that dates from the distant past.

So that is why we ask for more detail.

> Today the handling of internet traffic is different from "set access
> restrictions in the program".  You need to consider situations where
> the program is faulty and does not handle access restrictions correctly,
> or external users find other ways of disturbing systems that the
> system designer has never thought about.

Yes, but if that is the worry, then he should not be running a public
service at all on his mission critical machine. doing that is stupid for
precisely the reasons you list.

> Denying that is foolish.

noone is denying it.  What we are commenting on his his solution to a
unknown problem.