[ntp:questions] two machines syncing to the same master - hardware issues?

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Fri May 31 00:11:33 UTC 2013

unruh <unruh at invalid.ca> wrote:
> On 2013-05-30, matthew.garman at gmail.com <matthew.garman at gmail.com> wrote:
> > My two machines are somewhat different: "oldbox" is running NTP
> > 4.2.2 as ships with RedHat 5.7; "newbox" is running NTP 4.2.4 as
> > ships with RedHat 6.3.
               ^^^^^^^^^^

> > Is it possible there is a hardware problem with newbox?  I don't
> > really understand NTP well enough to know where to start looking.

> It is possible. What operating system is on newbox? And it could be
> that something on the box is resetting the clock behind ntpd's back.

RedHat 6.3 ships with a version of the Linux kernel.  I am going from
memory but I believe it is a variation on the 2.6.38 kernel.  Actually
checking online shows that to be a mistake - it is a 2.6.32 kernel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux#RHEL_6

2.6.38 may have been in one of the Ubuntu distributions.

rick jones