[ntp:questions] Pool returns IPv6 address to IPv4 query

Brian Utterback brian.utterback at oracle.com
Tue Nov 19 14:02:28 UTC 2013

Just as a point of interest, one of the most heated debates I have ever
been involved in internally here at Oracle was concerning whether
getaddrinfo (as defined by POSIX) should or should not return IPv6
addresses if the system only has IPv4 interfaces and/or only the
loopback IPv6 address. The getaddrinfo call was designed to work
efficiently on both dual stack and single stack systems, but the wording
in the standard is slightly ambiguous especially considering the case
that the host you are looking up might actually belong to the system you
are on.