[ntp:questions] False sender addresses

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Thu Nov 21 14:57:38 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-21, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:

>   From: E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists
>           <Null at BlackList.Anitech-Systems.invalid>
>
> I might have sent this by private mail, but the sender is both stating
> they will ignore replies and being anonymous.
>
> Two comments:
>
> 1) I think it's impolite to threaten people with blacklisting by
> replying to a message in the conventional way.  it's not reasonable to
> push work onto strangers, even if one is being helpful rather than
> asking for help.

One approach to handling these messages is to just ignore them.

> 2) Most mailng lists require mail to come from a subscriber for spam
> filtering.  So this sort of stance seems irregular.  Were I running the
> mailinglist, I wouldn't approve mail with a non-functional sender
> address.

This individual is not a mailing-list subscriber. He is posting to the
comp.protocols.time.ntp Usenet newsgroup via the Eternal September news
provider. You're seeing his articles on the mailing list via our
gateway.

A sample article from this poster may be viewed at
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.protocols.time.ntp/mBdwuMjcxFw/jEGu7KKml84J

All of this poster's articles contains tracking information headers
which may be used to file a complaint with his news provider.

e.g. (from the article linked above)

	mail-complaints-to="abuse at eternal-september.org";
	posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1/DgdtzFyqjVgYuudyBjPMPKQgj+ns4L68="

Anyone who wishes to contact this poster might find the information at
http://www.anitech-systems.com/ or the output of 'whois anitech-systems'
to be helpful.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>