[ntp:questions] how did ntp service set the maxallowphaseoffset

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Fri Nov 22 10:27:22 UTC 2013

On 22/11/13 01:20, xiaoniao112233 at gmail.com wrote:

> We all wrong ,what I looks for is the command --ntptime,there is a maxerror parameter in it .It is what I looks for.

maxerror is a statistic.  It doesn't control the operation of ntpd in
any way.  If you can set it, it is only in order to control the value
that other people read.  That is not something that would be useful to
do with ntptime unless ntpd was not running.

Also, in practice, if allowed to take its natural value, it is almost
always many times larger than the true error.

It grows with time, being reset each time ntpd receives a valid time
from a server.  I think it will be reset to a value that depends on the
error statistics received from the server.

It is possible that what you really want is "tos maxdistance", but I am
guessing what you are really trying to do.