[ntp:questions] GPS/PPS and "enable calibrate"

Horvath Bob-BHORVAT1 Bob.Horvath at motorolasolutions.com
Sat Sep 7 20:30:24 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: questions-bounces+bob.horvath=motorolasolutions.com at lists.ntp.org [mailto:questions-bounces+bob.horvath=motorolasolutions.com at lists.ntp.org] On Behalf Of unruh
Sent: Saturday, September 07, 2013 11:20 AM
To: questions at lists.ntp.org
Subject: Re: [ntp:questions] GPS/PPS and "enable calibrate"

On 2013-09-07, Charles Elliott <elliott.ch at verizon.net> wrote:

> Or use PPS and be accurate to  a microsecond or so.

I guess this is the fundamental question I don't understand.

I thought with PPS, which I do have using the Adafruit GPS and a Raspberry Pi, I would be fairly accurate off of the GPS time and PPS together.   Then I started seeing fudge parameters of 0.496 which seem to work well, but seem like a large amount of time to be "fudging" for something that is supposed to already be accurate.  That is in seconds, right? So it is about a half a second?  I am confused what that parameter does, what it needs to be set to, and how one figures out what to set it to, or whether I am just really confused.