[ntp:questions] Trying to use Dimension 4 time keeper

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Fri Sep 13 05:50:53 UTC 2013

> So you are suggesting to use development binaries at
> <http://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm>? On the download page
> I see "Software Development Kits  SDKs for different programming
> languages and development environments to access a Meinberg device from
> within own applications."  However, that doesn't seem fitting.

No I am suggesting the ones I host here:

   http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/x86/index.html

> A strange thing happened in the last 24 hours. I have a second XP PX,
> call it Prob, in the same room as the problem XP PC, call it Newer. I
> thought I would see what was on it. Interestingly, Meinberg. The PC
> (Newer) is hardly used, and I noted according to my atomic clock it was
> something like 5 minutes off. While I was looking around the desk  top,
> I noticed the clock had jumped to the correct time. It (Newer) has the
> same Meinberg s/w on it. It is about 4 years newer than Prob, but the
> two XPs are not quite the same. Newer's XP was taken from a MS XP, and
> Prob's XP was taken from some third party (something like that).
>
> I decided to check text server file, and found that it was unlike the
> one I posted elsewhere, as
>
> NTP servers
> server 0.us.pool.ntp.org iburst
> server 1.us.pool.ntp.org iburst
> server 2.us.pool.ntp.org iburst
> server 3.us.pool.ntp.org iburst
>
> For Newer, I have
> server 0.north-america.pool.ntp.org iburst
> server 1.north-america.pool.ntp.org iburst
> server 2.north-america.pool.ntp.org iburst
> server 0.us.pool.ntp.org iburst
> server 2.us.pool.ntp.org iburst
>
> Does this change the game in anyway?

I am suggesting you use the "pool" directive, and not a multiple entry
listing:

   http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/setup.html#pool

It requires NTP 4.2.6p5 or later.

I have to dash right now, so I hope someone can continue helping.--
Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu