[ntp:questions] Handle ntp conf modification when ntp is already running

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Fri Apr 11 20:08:55 UTC 2014

It seems clear to me that once again, we have learned that in general we
cannot expect ntpd to "restart from scratch" without stopping and
restarting the process.

Again, items which make this infeasible include:

- chroot
- drop privs

As the above features are probably the most important to the same folks
who would want to make signbificant changes to the config file, what
value is there in continuing this specific aspect of this thread?

The ':config' directive should give folks relatively complete control
over normal runtime configuration.  There are a few directives that are
expressly prohibited from being changed by ':config' because of security
concerns.

The 'saveconfig' directive should also be a fine way to "save state" for
restart.

We have a test framework that should allow us to make sure that these
mechanisms work as expected.

What's the problem with making sure that ':config' and 'saveconfig' are
doing all that is needed?
--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>