[ntp:questions] Windows: SerialPPS Performance Counter/Processor Cycle Counter offset issue

Charles Elliott elliott.ch at verizon.net
Mon Apr 14 12:54:04 UTC 2014

FWIW, I found that both my Windows 7 and Windows 8 machines were using
the RTC to drive the Performance Counter (PC).  On a Windows machine,
you can tell what counter is driving the PC by looking at the line
"Performance counter frequency X.XXXXX MHz" in the Event Log, put
there by ntpd when it is starting up.  If the X's = 3.516 then I
believe it is using the RTC, but if the X's are 14.318 MHz, then
it is using the HPET.  The latter should be more accurate
since it corresponds to a period of ~70 ns, while the former
has a period of ~284 ns.

In Windows 7 & 8, to make the PC use the HPET, run cmd as admin
and paste "bcdedit /set {current} useplatformclock Yes".

Charles Elliott