[ntp:questions] questions] Automatic time synchronization of local hw clock.

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Apr 19 15:30:03 UTC 2014

Op 15 apr. 2014, om 08:32 heeft David Taylor
<david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> het volgende geschreven:

> On 15/04/2014 07:24, William Unruh wrote:
> []
>> No, I meant that Windows at least did (pre Win7?) use local time as
>> system time.
>> And I seem to recall that even now it can use localtime as systemtime.
>> But I do not run Windows so cannot test anything.

This is what I had to deal with, so a standard installation of Windows
certainly does not use UTC:

http://lifehacker.com/5742148/fix-windows-clock-issues-when-dual-booting-with-os-x=
=========================

I was waiting for your question to appear on the NNTP newsgroup, but it did
not, at least on my server.

Windows NT and later use UTC internally, which is what I wrote.  You are
quite correct that the BIOS time is usually in wall-clock time, and that
different operating systems will handle that problem differently.  There
have been reports that Windows can use a BIOS clock in UTC, but I've never
tried that myself.  I don't know whether OS-X has the option to use
wall-clock time for the BIOS - it would be helpful if it did!

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk