[ntp:questions] Header-tiquette (was: NTP.log interpretation)

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at LINworks.de
Sun Apr 20 20:35:56 UTC 2014

On 19.04.2014 14:00, questions-request at lists.ntp.org digested:
> From: David Woolley <david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid>
>
> On 18/04/14 21:15, Jochen Bern wrote:
>
> [Unthreaded reply.]
>
> Are you aware that you mail/news client is broken and is not threading
> your replies properly.  If you are using the mail list, you need an
> In-Reply-To header.  If you are using the newsgroup, you need a
> References header.

[Directed back to the list/newsgroup due to lack of valid sender address
to reply to directly]

You might want to note from the very first line in my replies that I'm
subscribed to the mailing list in digest mode, and chances are that a
quick inspection of the headers on your end would have shown you not
only In-Reply-To: and References: headers, but also a User-Agent: header
mentioning Thunderbird. The problem is, of course, that Thunderbird will
(correctly) fill in the former ones with the Message-Id: of the digest
it receives and displays, not references to the pre-digestion
mails/postings.

I actually once *tried* to add "In-Reply-To" to the
mail.compose.other.header config so as to manually fill it in with the
original Message-Id: (quoted in the digests' body), but found that the
autogenerated one would invariably replace my manual input instead. I
admit that I haven't searched for an *add-on* to shoehorn into my
Thunderbird that might further grok digest mails, though.

Anyway, if failure to produce "normal" threading headers is as verboten
as you claim, then it's not my user agent that is broken but the fact
that the mailinglist server offers digest-mode subscriptions in the
first place. (And, by the way, prefixes them with only this set of
explicit instructions:

> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of questions digest..."

Regards,
								J. Bern
--
*NEU* - NEC IT-Infrastruktur-Produkte im <http://www.linworks-shop.de/>:
Server--Storage--Virtualisierung--Management SW--Passion for Performance
Jochen Bern, Systemingenieur --- LINworks GmbH <http://www.LINworks.de/>
Postfach 100121, 64201 Darmstadt | Robert-Koch-Str. 9, 64331 Weiterstadt
PGP (1024D/4096g) FP = D18B 41B1 16C0 11BA 7F8C DCF7 E1D5 FAF4 444E 1C27
Tel. +49 6151 9067-231, Zentr. -0, Fax -299 - Amtsg. Darmstadt HRB 85202
Unternehmenssitz Weiterstadt, Geschäftsführer Metin Dogan, Oliver Michel