[ntp:questions] Can NTP sync within 1ms

Rob nomail at example.com
Fri Apr 25 13:15:56 UTC 2014

Henry Hallam <henry at pericynthion.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 8:07 AM, Montgomery, Peter         BIS
> <Peter.Montgomery at fs.utc.com> wrote:
>> I am new to NTP. But I have a quick question that I need to answer soon.
>>
>> I would like to know whether NTP can sync between a client and a server within 1ms if the client and server are Linux applications on a simple local network ( less than 10 nodes).
>
> Yes, absolutely and easily.  It can usually achieve that even over the Internet.
>
> Henry

Of course there is a bit of a difference between "usually this will
work very well" and "it better works OK or we will lose millions of
dollars".  You know, the financial trade markets where they try to
rip eachother off by sending transactions across links 1ms shorter
then someone else to use prior knowledge.