[ntp:questions] Issues installing ntpd on Win 7

A C agcarver+ntp at acarver.net
Tue Apr 29 15:59:30 UTC 2014

On 2014-04-29 03:14, Martin Burnicki wrote:
> A C wrote:
>> On 2014-04-28 22:23, David Taylor wrote:
>>> On 29/04/2014 05:51, A C wrote:
>>> []
>>>
>>> .. and what are the messages in the Windows Event Log(s)?
>>>

>> The original error messages were:
>>
>> A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Network
>> Time Protocol Daemon service to connect.
>>
>> followed by
>>
>> The Network Time Protocol Daemon service failed to start due to the
>> following error:
>> The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely
>> fashion.
>>
>> No other errors or warnings.
>
> Typical reasons for this behavior is if
>
> - a DLL is not found
> - the password for the user "ntp" doesn't match
>
> In such case you can try to run "ntpd -n" in a command line window. This
> runs ntpd as a usual program instead of a service.
>
> If a DLL is missing then you will get an appropriate popup error message
> telling which one.

This might be it.  I chose not to install the OpenSSL library (unchecked
the option in the installer) because I don't use any authentication or
other crypto for ntpd.  When I reinstalled the second time, it simply
wrote the DLL into place (it said as much with a dialog box stating
something to the effect of "OpenSSL installed" but I'm fairly certain
libeay32.dll was not present when I first looked in the install
directory and showed up after the reinstall) and then it worked.  So
even though SSL is optional in the installer it appears that it is very
much not optional for the daemon itself.

I may try to uninstall, purge and try again to see if that really was it.